Thursday, April 23, 2009

Bright and sunny PBSC #45 entry

Good Morning fellow crafters, or good evening, depending on what side of the planet you're on. I hope the day (or night) finds you well.

Last night I finished my entry for the Penny Black Saturday Challenge blog. This week there was a sketch kindly brought to us by PBSC design team member Nat.
I decided to make my Mom a Mother's Day card with this layout. I've had the thought in mind since I bought this stamp in February, I've just had the darndest time putting it together.

What I finally decided on doing was to let go of any preconceived notions of what I wanted the end result to be, and pulled colors and papers that I know my mom would like and let the project come together on it's own, with the guidance of the sketch, of course...

And here is my end result, which my mom is sure to appreciate:

The PB stamp is called Poppy Fields and the sentiment is by Great Impressions, I swapped out "friends" for "moms" though.


When I saw this stamp, I knew it was just right for my Mother's Day card. Mom is a bit of a gardener, as much as she can be out in the desert... And we are from the Antelope Valley in California, where poppies bloom in such tremendous glory about this time every year.



You can see them blooming off the side of any road. Fields of beautiful fiery poppies as far as the eye can see, it really is a beautiful place this time of year. There is an annual poppy festival as well, photographers flock to the A.V. to capture this beautiful sight.
poppy happy trail
I have so many memories of poppies, harvesting seedlings in the front yard (which is now illegal, mind you!!), picking a poppy from the side of the road (which is now, also illegal!! PROTECT THE POPPIES!!!) Clearly, this stamp was a must have for me and will be nostalgic for my mom, who couldn't care less about stamping (unbelievable, I know!!) but will certainly like the poppies. Her favorite colors are yellow and orange, thus, the bright pallette.

Okay, enough about me!! Time to post the card!! Enjoy your day Penny Black fans!!
Stephanne

7 comments:

tracie said...

Oh wow hun this is fabulous, love the gorgeous colours and your attention to detail is stunning. Thanks for joining us this week at PBSC
Hugs
Tracie :)x

Pauline C said...

Gorgeous card Stephanne - lvoe the hedgie with poppies and your cute rework of the sentiment. Thanks for joining in this week's PBSC.
Pauline x

Kath Stewart said...

beautiful card Stephanne and your mum will adore it....such a beautiful image and love your pics of the poppies...they are so beautiful........great take on the sketch and thanks for joining in the fun this week at PBSC
Hugs Kath xxxxx

Caroljenks said...

Gorgeous card Stephanne - Great colours. I'm sure your Mom WILL love it :)
Fantastic photo too - I thought Poppies only came in red :0
Thanks so much for visiting my blog :)

Carol x

stephanne said...

Can I leave MYSELF a comment? I will find out in 30 seconds...

That beautiful picture was taken by my friend Lara. I do have poppy pictures of my very own, but I am a film girl, so... no way short of a crusty low-pixel scan to share. Lara's pics are way better anyway!!

Treacle said...

Lovely card. I love that image of the hedgie with the poppies.

xXx

scrapperjulia said...

This card is just lovely! You made the flowers look just like the poppies! I love the blue butterflies too! Love the picture of the poppies that your friend took too!